Tuesday 11 May 2010

Closer

Another step closer. Equipment: The new tempering machine is in place. Love it. Works great. It's a 12 kg Mol d'art. That the most chocolate I have ever had. Business: I'm looking at the advantages of being an S-corp, Sole P and LLP. If something happens I could loose everything including the house.
Sales/Marketing: I'm looking into a spot in the Public Market. I think it would be fun and I could also get fresh local produce to take home with me. While I'm there I can roast the beans and let the smell grab a few customers.
I'm also looking at the wine trails. Hmmm. Do people like chocolate and wine?
Packaging: I was thinking small 4 piece boxes or even a chocolate torte with a variety of ganache flavors. I really love making chocolate, making confections, truffles, and I like using the chocolate drizzled on toasted almond biscotti, a dark dense cake that only uses chocolate and eggs covered with a ganache that melts as soon as it hits your tongue.
Practice: Today I worked with fondant. I made mint piped into a dark chocolate shell. I made it slightly soft so if you bite it it will slowly run out. Fresh mint leaves chopped very small will be in the next batch for fun. I also made a cashew filling. If you like peanut butter cups you might like this very much. I roast the cashews, grind them silky smooth, add white chocolate and French grey salt.
Tomorrow I hope to get packaging finalized. That's tougher than it sounds. The package is me and my product. In order to get packaging, the smallest orders start at a few K. So when I place an order it's going to be large and thousands of dollars so it better be pleasing to the eye, easy to remember, simple and functional.
Inspection: A trip to the restaurant supply store for large approved food containers. Probably something like half sheets with lids. I'll probably need a sheet rack at some point.
Packaging, inspection, insurance, license, then it's time to have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment