Thursday 2 December 2010

Chocolate room PT II

I need another room. I have been making the room next to the chocolate room my hot room. When I mold I need a room temp of 66-68F. If I roast and winnow it heats the room up. I called food safety and was told as long as I make it like the existing room that it would be fine. I've got it ready for kitchen paint so tomorrow I'll spend the morning painting. In the chocolate room I'll get the dark chocolate tempered. That usually takes about 3 -4 hours to do that. I have to isolate the room from the paint smell because chocolate grabs smells. It's a getter!

The smaller Santha grinder is being used today for a white chocolate batch. The last batch was a bit hard to work with. It was thin so I tempered it a bit more and had issues with the speed that it crystallized. The areas of the mold that had more mass would transfer the heat quickly so there was an uneven thickness of the shell. Last night I started another batch of white and added the mass. Bob's Red mill non fat milk powder. Love that stuff! Sugar. Lecithin. Why lecithin? Chocolate and sugar do not get along chemically. Like the same ends of a magnet. Soy lecithin steps in to calm down the fight. They both like soy!

So on with the recipe development of white chocolate. I put the recipe together and boosted the sugar and milk product. The grinder was not happy. I added cocoa butter until it was just happy. Wheels turning nice. Then on refinement it started to choke up again. I added a bit more. I'm not a big white chocolate fan but I am now. Wow. Really good white chocolate. I'll add the real Vanilla bean at the end for the added punch and for the fun of seeing the specs of it in the chocolate. It's almost smooth enough right now but since it's going to need a few more hours I'll just let it grind overnight. It will be super smooth by then.
I just got some fresh eggnog. I can make a eggnog ganache with that, possibly spiked? I'm thinking a milk chocolate shell. Possibly a coffee shell. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment